Krista Keipper, Special Education Supervisor (Home School, John Peterson and Autism Scholarship, Private Schools)
Melinda Cain, Special Education Supervisor (Schultz Elementary, Smith Elementary, and Dempsey Middle School)
Laura Shaw, Special Education Supervisor (Carlisle Elementary, Conger Elementary, and Hayes High School)
, Special Education Supervisor (Preschool and Woodward Elementary)
74 W. William Street
Delaware, OH 43015
Phone: (740) 833-1100
Fax: (740) 833-1149
The Delaware City Schools provides a continuum of special education services and supports to children ages 3 through 21 identified as disabled under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act. Special education services are provided in accordance with Ohio’s Operating Standards for Ohio’s Schools Serving Children with Disabilities.
Who may receive special education services?
- Preschool children (ages 3-5) who have been identified as having moderate to severe developmental delays in the areas of communication, motor, adaptive behavior, social-emotional, vision, hearing, or cognitive skills.
- School-age children (6-21) who have been identified as having one of the following disability conditions:
- Intellectual Disability
- Emotional Disturbance
- Hearing Impairment
- Multiple Disabilities
- Orthopedic Impairment
- Other Health Impairment
- Specific Learning Disability
- Speech or Language Impairment
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Visual Impairment
Where are special education services provided?
Services are provided in the Least Restrictive Environment. This means that children are educated in the regular educational environment to the greatest extent possible. The following list of educational settings is in order from the least restrictive environment to the most restrictive environment:
- General Education Classroom
- Supplemental Instruction
- Special Education Classroom
- Private School Placement
- Home Instruction
What related services are provided to students with disabilities?
Based on the child's needs, the following support services are available:
- Adaptive Physical Education
- Aide Services
- Audiological Services
- Interpreter Services
- Nursing Services
- Occupational Therapy Services
- Orientation and Mobility Services
- Physical Therapy Services
- Speech and Language Services
- Teacher of the Visually Impaired