Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Homeless Awareness and Education

If your family lives in any of the following situations:
• In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground
• On the street
• In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations, or
• Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing
Then, your preschool-aged and school-aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.
Your children have the right to
• Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. They must be given access to the same public education, including preschool education, provided to other children.
• Continue in the school they attended before you became homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice and is feasible. If a school sends your child to a school other than the one you request, the school must provide you with a written explanation and offer you the right to appeal the decision.
• Receive transportation to the school they attended before your family became homeless or the school they last attended, if you or a guardian request such transportation.
• Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
• Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
• Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
• Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling your children.
• Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.
• Receive transportation to school and to school programs. 

When you move, you should do the following:

•  Contact the school district’s local liaison for homeless education (see phone number below) for help in enrolling your child in a new school or arranging for your child to continue in his or her former school. (Or, someone at a shelter, social services office, or the school can direct you to the person you need to contact.)

• Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to
new circumstances.

• Ask the local liaison for homeless education, the shelter provider, or a social worker for assistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.

Joseph Uher, Director of Elementary Curriculum & Assessment
Aaron Cook, Director of Secondary Curriculum & Assessment
74 W. William Street
Delaware, OH  43015
Phone: 740-833-1125
Susannah Wayland, Office of Federal Programs
25 S. Front St., Mail Stop 404
Columbus, OH  43215-4183
Phone: 614-466-4161, Fax: 614-387-0963

The following resources contain more information on homelessness:

The Ohio Department of Education 

Homeless Information Update Fall 2015