Frank B. Willis SchoolFrank B.Willis School opened its doors in 1883 as Delaware High School. In 1928, it was named Frank B. Willis High School in honor of the Ohio Senator and Delaware county resident. The building survived two fires and has undergone numerous additions and renovations. After opening Rutherford B. Hayes High School in 1962, Willis became a Junior High School serving students in grades seven, eight, and nine. In 1970, the District reconfigured its schools so that all the sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students attended Willis. In 2000, the John C. Dempsey Middle School opened. During that year, Willis began serving the District's fifth and sixth grade students.Due to overcrowding and larger class sizes the district again reconfigured grade levels to return to a traditional K-5 elementary structure and 6th grade students joined their middle school peers at Dempsey. In 2016, Willis became the Willis Educational Center and houses administrative offices and select student programming. The building remains available for community and school use.Rutherford B. Hayes High SchoolRutherford B. Hayes High School was opened in 1964 originally serving students in grades 10-12. The school is named for the 19th President of the United States, Rutherford B. Hayes, who was born and attended grade school in Delaware, OH. In 1970, 9th grade students began attending Hayes High School. As a growing district, additions were added in 1995 and 2016 to accommodate increased enrollment and provide updated common spaces including classrooms, cafeteria, performing arts center and gymnasium.John C. Dempsey Middle SchoolJohn C. Dempsey Middle School was built in 2000 to alleviate overcrowding at Willis Junior High. The building is located on the site of the former Greif Brothers campus and is named for a prominent community member and businessman from whom the land was purchased. From 2000-2016, the school served 7th and 8th graders. In 2016, a new addition was added to accommodate 6th graders at the middle school.Ruth Boardman Elementary SchoolRuth Boardman Elementary School was built in 1905 and was named for a former school principal. The building was located on W. William Street just a block west of Willis School. The building was torn down in 1980 and converted to green space.James A. Conger Elementary SchoolJames A. Conger Elementary School was built in 1912 (known as East Elementary School) and was named for a former school principal in 1966 when the building underwent major renovations. Additional renovations and additions occurred in 1995 and 2016. The school currently serves preschool-5th grade students.David R. Smith Elementary SchoolDavid R. Smith Elementary School was built in 1950 and named for a former superintendent of schools. New additions were added at Smith Elementary in 1955 and 2016 to accommodate increased enrollment. The school currently serves kindergarten-5th grade students.Ervin F. Carlisle Elementary SchoolErvin F. Carlisle Elementary School was built in 1956 and named for a former superintendent of schools. New additions were added in 2016 to accommodate the growing neighborhood. The school currently serves students in kindergarten-5th grade.Laura A. Woodward Elementary SchoolLaura A. Woodward Elementary School was built in 1950 and named for a former principal. New additions were added in 2016 to accommodate increased enrollment. The school currently serves students in preschool-5th grade.Robert F. Schultz Elementary SchoolRobert F. Schultz Elementary School was built in 1995 to served a growing population on the west side of Delaware. The school is named for a former superintendent of schools. In 2016, additions were constructed to accommodate increased enrollment. The school serves students in kindergarten-5th grade.North Elementary School/Administration CenterThe former Administration building located at 248 N. Washington Street was built just after the Civil War in 1869. It was known as North Elementary School and served students until 1950 (when Smith Elementary was built). The building served as a city recreation center until the school district established administrative functions at the site in XXXX. The building is sometimes referred to as "the Whitehouse" because of the gleaming white stucco exterior. Inside much of the original character was retained including the interior dome which has stained glass panels. Administrative functions were moved to Willis School in 2016.
Last Modified on January 24, 2017