PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND WELLNESS RESOURCE PAGE
What is Physical Education?
Physical activity is critical to the development and maintenance of good health. The goal of physical education is to develop physically educated individuals who have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to enjoy a lifetime of healthful physical activity.
- Basic movement concepts along with the basic skills of physical education are introduced in kindergarten.
- 1st and 2nd grade curriculum emphasizes the development and refinement of basic movement concepts and skills with a beginning emphasis on physical fitness and healthful lifestyles.
- 3rd, 4th and 5th grade curriculum is characterized by a shift to specialized skills, team activities, and general sport.
National Standards for Physical Education
- Demonstrates a variety of physical skills through movement activities.
- Applies movement concepts and principles to develop physical skills.
- Participates regularly in and understands the benefits of a physically active lifestyle.
- Understands how to monitor and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Demonstrates responsible personal and social behavior during physical activities.